Friday 6 March 2009

Rotten: No Irish, No blacks, No dogs.


A few weeks ago I read a very interesting book, and I decided to talk about it.
The title of the book is No Irish, No Blacks, No dogs. Is an authorized autobiography of the singer of the punk group Sex Pistols, Johnny Rotten, whose real name is John Lydon. The title comes from a poster of one of the motels where the singer stayed during his tour of U.S.A. (he was born in Ireland, so it's curious).
Rotten narrates her life since he was a child until the separation of the Sex Pistols in 1979, in full U.S. tour. While he's telling his life, he also explains the history of the original punk, 'cause Sex Pistols were the forerunners of the movement in the UK. Not only the punk movement, also the philosophy and the ideology. He explains a way of life. He gives his particular point of view of that period of the mid-seventies, and he denies everything that is considered "punk" and in reality it isn't because there's no individuality.

Personally I liked so much the book because it's a topic that interests me a lot and I've learned many things I didn't know about his life and also about the punk movement. I recommend this book to people who are interested to know what punk really is.

No comments: